FREELANCE EXPERIENCE (2007-present)
Authored three books: “The Pocket Idiot’s Guide to Wedding Vows” (Alpha, 2005); “The Pocket Idiot’s Guide to Wedding Etiquette” (Alpha, 2008); “Stair Lifts: Move Up, Not Out” (Nationwide Lifts, 2013).
Write feature articles, profiles and essays for such outlets as South Magazine, State College Magazine, Grandparents.com, Hilton Head Monthly, Skirt! and Central Penn Parent, as well as business profiles for Central Penn Business Journal and other publications throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Syndicated column writing
Wrote a monthly syndicated family finance column for parenting magazines throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Write and edit marketing materials (including brochures, company profiles, website content, SEO-focused blog posts, video scripts, product descriptions and consumer-facing articles) for nationally known companies including Sylvan Learning and Nationwide Lifts, as well as law firms, financial institutions, public relations businesses, nonprofits, and others.
Proof articles and final pages for State College Magazine and The Bridge, the alumni magazine of Messiah College. I’ve also edited product catalogs, marketing materials and press releases for a variety of private companies.
The Island Packet, Hilton Head Island, S.C.
Features editor | 2006-2007
Managed a staff of six full-time and several freelance employees to produce daily features sections. Duties included assigning and editing all stories and art, proofing pages and guiding the overall design of the sections. Lead a top-to-bottom redesign of the newspaper’s features section in 2006.
Community tabloid editor | 2000-2006
Supervised two full-time reporters and several freelance columnists to put out two weekly community newspaper tabs. Wrote, assigned and edited stories, designed pages and proofed all sections. Also lead a redesign of one section in 2005.
Faith & values reporter | 2003-2006
Wrote stories and assigned art for the religion and ethics beat.
New media coordinator/Special sections editor | 1999-2000
Wrote for, designed and edited special advertising sections for the daily newspaper. Also updated local news and calendar items, and wrote special features for the newspaper’s website, www.islandpacket.com.
The News Chief, Winter Haven, Fla.
New media coordinator | 1998-1999
Created written content for websites sold by the newspaper’s New Media department. Coordinated the development of the websites with the client and graphic designers. Also researched and wrote weekly Internet 101 columns for the newspaper, created marketing tools for New Media, including print ads, and assisted with the development of the paper’s website, PolkOnline.com.
Conquest Communications, Clearwater, Fla.
Senior writer | 1997-1998
Wrote advertising copy for radio ads and messages-on-hold announcements, and coordinated audio advertising projects with the clients and voice talent.
- Newspaper Reporter of the Year Award by the National Alliance on Mental Illness-South Carolina (2008)
- Employee of the Year, The Island Packet (2004)
- First Place, Mid-Atlantic Newspaper Advertising Marketing Awards (2000)
- Several South Carolina Press Association Awards for writing, including:
- Column Writing (Second Place, 2006)
- Lifestyle Feature Writing (First Place, 2004; Third Place, 2005 and 2003)
- Feature Writing (Second Place, 2005)
BA Journalism, minor in Spanish – 1995
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- Lowcountry Autism Foundation board member (2006-2008)
- Middlesex United Methodist Church council member (2011-2012)
- Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Relay for Life Co-chairman (2002)
- American Cancer Society Relay For Life Overall Committee (2000-2005)
- Palmetto Health Hospice patient and family caregiver (2004-2006)
- Special Olympics track and field volunteer